grandmothersmusings

Friday, April 20, 2007

LITTLE THINGS & LITTLE ONES

As you know from my daughter Tammy's Blog, Little Cherub just celebreated her 5th Birthday on the 18th.
I called her up to sing Happy Birthday to her, a favorite custom in our family. She told me she liked the card I sent her & added that she liked the money. This was the first time that I had enclosed money with their birthday card, & this was a Dollar Bill. To a child a dollar is a wonderful amount & can be spent at their favorite store for purchases, the Dollar Tree.


Since I was a child during the Depression, I was more than likely the receiver of a Penny, or the wonderful Nickle, preferred over a dime at a young age, because it was bigger, & of course bigger than a Penny.

When I was 2 years old, someone, possibly my dad gave me a Nickle which I promptly swallowed & got caught in my throat. I thought it was candy. Daddy, I'm told turned me upside down & tapped me on the back, & fortunately the money was dislodged.
In those days,Penny's could buy penny candies so my sister & I loved receiving those small amounts & happily spent them.

It doesn't take expensive items to make a small child happy. They do want certain items they have seen advertised on TV such as the Curious George bubble set, which I'm glad her daddy secured for her. As a child growing up, I sent for a Decoder badge featured on the Little Orphan Annie show on the radio, by sending in the seal from the Jar of Ovaltine. We too were subjected to the merchandising of sponsors on the radio, before the advent of TV.

What was exciting for Little Cherub, was receiving mail addressed to her & finding the card & that all important dollar inside. I hope that they will always find delight in the little things of life, seeing a butterfly, watching a bird make a nest, picking dandelions & other wild flowers & presenting their bouquets to me.

Lest anyone think that this doting grandmother just had a card for Little Cherub's birthday, Nammy told her that there is another present at my house which she will receive, either when mommy brings her down, or I'm able to bring it up to her house.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Beautiful, Mom. I so agree...I like that they can delight in the simpler things of life right now and hope they never completely outgrow that~

(And a dollar now is probably like a nickel during the Depression!) :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger CG said...

I absolutely love your blog and think it's so neat that your writing all of this for your family. I posted a link to your blog on mine; hope you don't mind. :)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

oh yea.... I can remember getting a pair of roller skates and being so happy.

My grandmother had so many grandchildren and by the time I came along was so old... I don't think she ever sent me a card.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruth, your description of swallowing a coin reminded me of one of my brothers. He swallowed a penny, and my dad turned him upside-down and gave him a good whack on the back. A few months later, he swallowed a metal jack--remember those? Again, a whack on the back.

Your blog is wonderful reading!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thank you so much for coming over! I love reading Tammy's blog, and will enjoy reading yours as well. My niece swallowed a coin and had to have surgery, if I recall. And I can remember receiving dollars in the mail that seemed so huge.

Rereading the trilogy was amazing to me, that I remembered nothing about them except the theme of our God as a redeemer of horrible circumstances. I have all of the Savannah series, and think I should reread them as well.

Come back again!

4:29 AM  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

There's just nothing more special than Grandmothers!

Your blog is a priceless gift to your children and grandchildren!

thanks for sharing the joy with us!

Diane

3:36 PM  
Blogger Diane @ A Watered Garden said...

Hi Ruth! I just stopped by for a visit from Tammy's blog. I love to see Mother's and daughters blogging "together". It's fun to get "more of the story" that way. Our eldest daughter got me started in blogging and I'm having alot of fun with it! I remember when you could actually buy a lot with a nickel or quarter... lots of candy, entrance to a movie, etc, etc. My how times have changed! I'll be back to read more! Blessings, Diane

5:51 AM  
Blogger maria said...

My own paternal grandmother had so many grand kids that I always had the feeling that she didn't even know my name.

I only recall that she talked to me once, around age 12. At that time, she called me by my name and I was totally shocked that she knew it.

Marie

1:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here from Tammy's blog. What lucky grandkids to have this account of their grandma's life. I need to set up a blog for my mom.

When my now 4 yr old daughter was about 2, she swallowed a penny, and we took her to the doctor. She was x-rayed, and sure enough, there was the coin in her tummy! We had to check her poo every day to see if she passed it, otherwise the doctors would have to take some measures to get it out. Lucky us, she did her business. :-)

I'll check back again...

Jennifer in OR, Diary of 1

10:46 PM  
Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I believe this is my first time here, but I am a regular at Tammy's blog. I love your story about the nickel. My parents are 85 and almost 82, so they understand the Depression, as well, and it has influenced me moreso than others my age (45). You sound like just the most wonderful grandmother. Blessings!

12:55 AM  
Blogger Susannah said...

You're such a wonderful grandmother! It won't be long before I fill that role too. :~)

BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog with the information about the Roloffs. They seem to have a wonderful family life... a modern version of the Waltons, perhaps... it's awesome to know they're Christians.

Blessings, e-Mom

11:50 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Ruth,

I'm new to your blog and am happy to meet you.

When we were growing up, we got a dime a month. Half of it had to go into our banks, which were old baby powder cans. Then, if we went into town that month, we could spend the rest at the corner store near my uncle's. Those were the days. We appreciated everything we got.

Thanks for sharing your precious memories and also for commenting on my veteran's post. Be sure to drop over and enter my Christmas book giveaway.

Blessings,
Mary

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home