grandmothersmusings

Sunday, July 09, 2006

In The Good Old Summertime

There is always that excitement for a kid at the end of the school year & anticipation for that time known as summer vacation.

As a child growing up in the 30's, there wasn't money to buy things except for the necessities, such as food & clothing. However thanks to an uncle who lived in Cleveland & who had a daughter my sister's age, we were each given a scooter, & another time, a pair of rollerskates. He had a good paying job so he had the money to buy them for us. My aunt & uncle had lost two older children, their oldest ddaughter, Arleen who would have been my older brother's age, from a burst
appendix at age 8, & Marion 8 months old who fell victim to 1918 flu epedemic. I think he enjoyed spoiling us a little.

We also played games, such as Hide & Seek, Red Rover(also played at school), & someimes in the evening a rousing game of Kick The Can. Yes we actually kicked a tin can around in a game. This was played in the street, since there were few cars then. Sidewalks provided a place to draw squares for Hop Scotch, & to bounce a small ball on for playing Jacks.

I was always fascinated by the stars,& loved to lay in the grass on a summers night & look up at them. Once I had a little toy telescope that I could look through at them. When we lived in the small town of Freemont, there used to be a lot of lightning bugs which I mentioned in another post & my sister & I had fun watching & catching them.

When my sister & I were quite small we loved to take our dolls out side & have a tea party. Mom also showed up how to make little Hollyhock dolls. I don't remember too much about what they looked like ,other than the flowers were upside down, with the flower part as the skirt. We may have used a tooth pick to hold them together.

Summertime was a time to dream & use our imagination. As we got old enough, we would put on shows with the neighbor children. We sang songs & put on plays.

My sister & I love to play dress up & mom always had a ready supply of things we could use as costumes & outfits to wear for what ever we were dressing up as.

With all that children have now, computer games & fancy toys, I hope that they don't lose that wonderful gift of imagination. I've been delighted at seeing & interacting with my little granddaughters when they have acted out a made up story & I'm happy to see my daughter encouraging them to use their imagination.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

I never get tired of hearing stories about the days gone by...thank you for preserving your precious memories!

Yes...it's amazing all of the kinds of toys they have these days...usually the fancy ones bringlots of excitment, but it's always the simple ones that have the lasting power. This morning I decided to forgo the dishes and just sit down and play Barbies and ponies with the girls...hadn't done that in awhile and it fun! That's one of the many blessings with kids, isn't it? You get to relive your childhood. You were always great at playing and using your imagination with me...and I suspect you kind of enjoyed it, just like I do now! (Hug!)

4:30 PM  
Blogger Grandma K said...

Hi Ruth! I finally have time to visit you. Thanks for coming by my blog. Hope you come to visit again sometime!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Grafted Branch said...

What a TREASURE to me to have found your blog! Your daughter, Tammy, dropped by mine and left a comment which directed me to your's. I clicked over before I even left her a comment! I bet she won't mind.

Anyway...I'm very moved to be able to glean such beautiful insights from you -- a complete stranger. This cyberspace thing, while trying at times, certainly has proven a blessing to me tonight.

As counter-intuitive as it seems, my girls ARE more happy and contented when they have less "stuff." We try to keep it simple, too. Hide-the-thimble is a fun favorite around here. We also like to do "Madlibs" and other storytelling-by-turns games.

Please keep posting. I'll keep checking in!

8:57 PM  
Blogger ruth said...

Thanks gals for your sweet comments
I've been visiting at your blogs & have enjoyed them.
Y'all come back
ruth

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home