grandmothersmusings

Friday, August 04, 2006

I THINK I CAN, ITHOUGHT I COULD

The love of reading, I believe is past down through the generations. I was delighted when I was at my daughter's last weekend for the Portland adventure, to see her present both 7 year old girlie, & little cherub each with a book she had picked up at a yard sale. Little cherub's book was one my own mother, years before, had either read or told us as a bedtime story, the Little Blue Engine that could. I can still remember my delight as I listened to the story, at hearing the words that the Little Engine said, as he climbed the hill, I think I can, I think I can, then giggleing as I heard mom say very fast, I thought I could, I thought I could, as the Engine came down the hill.

Growing up. I loved to read, Partly I believe because of those bedtime stories. Years before my mom had bought a set of books for my older brother, called My Book House. I still have a tattered worn volumne of the only remaining book of the series. Mom when she could, bought my sister & I books, but since it was during the Depression years, these mostly came at Christmas.

When my daughter came along,I saw an early interest, when at the age of 3, she was asking the names of letters on cereal boxes. I felt fortunate when I was trying to find some sort of a preschool, to discover a Montessori school in the area. At the time I did not know very much about this type of school, & the tuition was high, so I felt blessed when the director said, if I was willing to be a helper, she could enroll tuition free. She seemed to love it from the first day & amazed me by reading by the time she was 4 & 1/2. At first I thought she had memorized the Dr. Seuse books she loved so much, but found that she was actually reading them.

Now I love to hear 7 year old girlie reading so well, & I know that lttle cherub who recognizes all the letters will soon be reading her books herself. I'm glad that my daughter is carrying on the family tradition of bedtime stories every night. Some day Lord willing, their little ones, will be the 5th generation listening to a bedtime story. Who knows, it could be the beloved "Little Blue Engine" story they are listening to.

2 Comments:

Blogger ruth said...

Kailani, thanks for stopping by. I know from reading your Blog you love to read so I'm sure both your adorable little ones will love learning to read. I sent you an e-mail just now about the unexpected shower.
ruth

9:47 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I had gotten the Little Engine that could originally at the library and our little cherub fell so in love with it that I hoped to find it one day and buy it...so of course finding it at the yard sale was so wonderful! Especially when it was in such great condition.

Yes...all of women have loved to read from an early age! :)

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home