grandmothersmusings

Saturday, July 15, 2006

HAWAII CALLS

How do you explain a fascination and love for a place you have never seen except for pictures or scenes in a movie?

I don't remember time wise when this happened, in my past, but at some point my favorite musical program on radio, might have inspired my dreaming of Hawaii.
A clue perhaps might be found in the name of the program, & might provide in part the answer the
strange drawing I have felt for years to this faraway place. The name of the program was "Hawaii Calls" Every week I tried to remember the time & station it was on so I could listen to the soothing sounds of the beautiful Hawaiian melodies, sung & played at that faraway station.

One of my favorite movies was "Song Of The Islands which I saw 4 differnent times, staring a favorite of mine, Betty Grable. I don't think Hawaii was the Island of the film, but Hawaii represents to me the Polynesian culture.

Hawaii has changed over the years & is not like the original unspoiled state it once was.
Honolulu, is a large city, populated by many from the mainland who have been drawn to it's shores.
In spite of the modern city, I'm hoping to find the Hawaii of my dreams.

I love the musical sounds of the language. My name, Ruth, in Hawaiian is Luka, according to the key ring my daughter brought back to me from their trip.
I'm excited about going to this place theatI have dreamed of for years.
We will be visiting the memorial site at Pearl Harbor, where the Battleship Arizona lies buried in the water, one of the mighty battleships destroyed that fatal day. In our innocence or perhaps ignorance, we had all of our Battleships lined up in rows where they made ready targets for the attacking planes.
We leanred of this on our radio, that fateful Sunday long ago, as we listened in stunned silence to the announcement of the attack. Later we would learn the details of the tremedous loss of life that had occured on December 7th, 1941. A Day That Will Live In Infamy, as our president aptly put it.

We will be exploring this city, my sister & I, sharing that special bond that only sisters have. We who are so different in some ways, yet so alike in others.
Through the years we have been there for each other when we each lost a beloved spouse. I'm so glad that the Lord brought another special someone into her life to share her remaining years.

Perhaps the Hawaii of my dreams will be found at the Polynesian Village listed on the tentative iternerary.
The real Hawaii I think might be found in part with the people of Polyneseian decent, in their traditions, customs & language. I have always heard that Aloha means both hello & goodby. Come November, Lord willing, we will be greeted with Aloha,at the airport when we arrive and with some reluctance on my part, I'm sure when we leave & say Aloha to this magical place of my dreams.
Thanks sis, I'm looking forward to it

1 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Mom...wow. This is so beautiful- my favorite post yet.
As you know from my post, I could not be happier for you. And having been to Honolulu, I know you will still find many glimpses of old Hawaii still there! :) I know you will be so blessed! LUV

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home