grandmothersmusings

Saturday, August 05, 2006

THOSE GOOD OLD COMFY BAREFOOT SANDALS

Summertime brought a purchase of a new pair, or the old ones out, if they still fit,of my barefoot sandals. I don't know if that was the actual name of them or just what my Mom called them.

As mentioned before,mom was a city girl born & bred, & she was not very fond of my sister & I going barefoot. I think she thought that lurking beneath each blade of grass, laying in wait for her two precous girls, was a rusty nail, or a sharp piece of glass. ( I actually did cut my foot on a piece of glass one time). I think the rusty nail was a legitimate fear, because of the dread lock jaw, in a era before tetanus shots were available.

Our barefoot sandals had a closed in heel & toe & had a tee strap with two straps across, one fastening across the ankle, & the other across the instep. There were small cutouts in the toe section, alowing for good ventilation.. They were in fact very comforatable to wear, so much so thatI wish that I could find them in adult sizes. I am not a lover of the types of summer footwear available today. I cannot wear those high heeled affairs with the teensy straps holding them on, nor the flats without a back sturdily hugging my heel. I want something comfortable to walk in, sockless to be sure. I want the old styled barefoot sandal in MY size. Once in awhile, I have spotted them in ads for children's shoes, so guess they still make
them, just unfortunately not in my size.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grandma K said...

I'm a bit younger, but my mother was one to go barefoot, and I picked it up as well. My feet were once very tough, but now they are much more sensitive!

It's a shame several of the "old" type things have disappeared though! There were some definite benefits from them!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Hmmm, mom, I don't remember you talking about these. They sound great...wish you could find some again for yourself! I might even like a pair!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home