grandmothersmusings

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

MY FAVORITE FEISTY MOM MOMENT

Tammy wrote such a touching story about her grandmother, my mom. She was petite, a mere 5 feet tall, which is taller than I am at 4'9 ( I have shrunk from my 4'11 as I have gotten older. Part of this is due to a curvature of the spine.

It was actually mom's best friend who told my dad that mom was younger than she was, & I guess because she liked my dad stuck to the story. She was always young for her age, & growing up I thought she was 10 years younger. I learned her true age from my Uncle Chris.

Though she was tiny, she was not one to let someone take advantage of her. Now all you young gals do not know just how difficult washing clothes used to be. It was a long time before we ever had a Washing Machine, & I'm not talking about the ones we have now. Our first one was a Maytag with a wringer that you turned a handle & ran the clothes through, being careful not to run your fingers through at the same time. My sister & I were not allowed to touch it since mom was afraid we would just that.

When this incident occured it was during the old washtub & scrub board era. Our mode of drying clothes was on the clothes line outside in the fresh air & they were fastened with clothes pins to the line. I think mom may have had a wringer that she attached to the tub, or she may have rung them by hand, twisting the sheets etc. to get as much water out before she hung them up. I remember seeing her do this.

Clothes lines were stretched between two wooden clothes poles. We were renting this house & I beleive it was the house on Alger Street in Freemont, Ohio.
One of the clothes poles had broken, & really needed to be replaced. Mama had told the Landlord who showed up at the house & proceeded to nail a much too thin piece of wood to the top of the broken pole. I don't remember, but I'm sure mom told him it would not work, but being the tight fisted man he was, insisted it would.

The clothes were washed & hung up to dry above the muddy ground , as it had rained. The inevitable happened, all moms hard work came to naught as the clothes came tumbling down into the mud.

I don't think I have ever seen mom so angry, & with my sister & I clinging to each hand & trying with our short little legs to keep up with our furious mother, we went over to visit the Landlord. Like my daughter said she cried as she gave him a piece of her mind. A very meek Landlord replaced the pole. Of course the damage was done & mom had to rewash all of the clothes again to be hung up once more on a now sturdier clothes line.

I love my dryer, but I can't help but feel a little nostalgic at times when I think of how sweet smelling the clothes were, after hanging outside in the sunshine.

Clothes lines held their own stories. At some, one would see white square cloth diapers, denoting the arrival of a new member of the family. No disposables for my generation. One could almost tell who lived at a house by seeing what was hung out on the washline.

Though those years were difficult, I never heard mama complain. She gave me a wonderful example to follow as to the kind of person a mom should be. She was strict but tried to be fair. I can't really remember her getting that angry at anyone else except that Landlord & he deserved every word of her tongue lashing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Wodnerful story. When first married we had no washer or dryer and no money for the laudromat so I washed our clothes by hand, in the bathtub, and hung them out to dry outside our rented house. I can just imagine this scene happening had one of our poles broken. All that hard work. Lovely story, and wonderful telling. I ove stories like this, more please. :)

4:48 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love this story...I just couldn't remember the details. So glad you told it here, Mom. And you told it very well!
Family history is so important! And also, just hearing first-hand about this era is facinating! So much has changed in just these few generations, hasn't it?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Jeannine said...

I love hanging my laundry outside--I find it very therapeutic, and the smell of it when it comes in! :-) Except, of course, if a farmer was spreading manure nearby, and the wind is blowing in our direction. I missed it once and all of our clothes smelled like manure and had to be rewashed. :-P

I used cloth diapers with my children and loved looking out the window at all the white diapers blowing in the breeze.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Hi Ruth,
I back again to read this story. I still hang my laundry on a line (weather permitting) I love doing it that way!
I'll be back to visit you again...

9:58 AM  
Blogger Grafted Branch said...

Oh! I'm so glad I stayed up the few extra minutes it took to read this great narrative!

Thanks you so much for taking the time to share your earliest memories. You're wonderful.

Speaking of washing, clotheslines and washboards...my girls have had a great time imagining. You can see them as the Washer Women here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQfs0XOs0vk

You can simply copy and paste to see the video (it's short)...and then maybe buy Tammy's girls some clothespins, a line and let them have at it! ;)

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home